Woo Hoo !! Spring is finally here. We started seeing some awesome weather last week, however, today we are a bit chilly here in Northern Illinois. But as far as I am concerned, Spring is now upon us and I am so happy. It was a very long cold winter.
With Spring coming all of us are now "coming out of the woodwork"... LOL ! Going on walks with our doggies, starting to plant flowers and bushes and other spring time activities.
Spring is a glorious time but we always need to make sure our pets are safe. Below are some Spring Safety Tips for your pets. For more tips, please go to www.aspca.org.
- Easter Treats and Decorations Keep Easter
lilies and candy bunnies in check—chocolate goodies are toxic to cats,
dogs and ferrets, and lilies can be fatal if ingested by our furry
friends. And be mindful, kitties love to nibble on colorful plastic
grass, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting
and dehydration. Moreover, while bunnies, chicks and other festive
animals are adorable, resist the urge to buy—these cute babies grow up
fast and often require specialized care!
- Screen Doors Many
pet parents welcome the breezy days of spring by opening their windows.
Unfortunately, they also unknowingly put their pets at risk—especially
cats, who are apt to jump or fall through unscreened windows. Be sure to
install snug and sturdy screens in all of your windows. If you have
adjustable screens, make sure they are tightly wedged into window
- Car Rides While every pet
parent knows dogs love to feel the wind on their furry faces, allowing
them to ride in the bed of pick-up trucks or stick their heads out of
moving-car windows is dangerous. Flying debris and insects can cause
inner ear or eye injuries and lung infections, and abrupt stops or turns
can cause major injury, or worse! Pets in cars should always be secured
in a crate or wearing a seat belt harness designed especially for them.
- Spring Cleaning Spring
cleaning is a time-honored tradition in many households, but be sure to
keep all cleaners and chemicals out of your pets’ way! Almost all
commercially sold cleaning products contain chemicals that are harmful
to pets. The key to using them safely is to read and follow label
directions for proper use and storage.
- Home Improvement Projects Products
such as paints, mineral spirits and solvents can be toxic to your pets
and cause severe irritation or chemical burns. Carefully read all labels
to see if the product is safe to use around your furry friends. Also,
be cautious of physical hazards, including nails, staples, insulation,
blades and power tools. It may be wise to confine your dog or cat to a
designated pet-friendly room during home improvement projects.
- Gardening Pet
parents, take care—fertilizers, insecticides and herbicides keep our
plants and lawns healthy and green, but their ingredients aren't meant
for four-legged consumption and can be fatal if your pet ingests them.
Always store these poisonous products in out-of-the-way places and
follow label instructions carefully.
- Poisonous Plants Time
to let your garden grow! But beware, many popular springtime
plants—including Easter lilies, rhododendron and azaleas—are highly
toxic to pets and can easily prove fatal if eaten.
- Allergies Like their sneezy human counterparts, pets can be allergic to foods, dust, plants and pollens. Allergic reactions in dogs and cats an
cause minor sniffling and sneezing as well as life-threatening
anaphylactic shock. If you suspect your pet has a springtime allergy,
please visit your veterinarian as soon as possible.
- Insects April showers bring May flowers—and an onslaught of bugs! Make sure your pet is on year-round heartworm preventive
medication, as well as a flea and tick control program.
- Out and About Warmer weather means more trips to the park, longer walks and more chances for your pet to wander off! Make sure your dog or cat has a microchip for identification and wears a tag imprinted with your home address, cell phone and any other relevant contact information.